How to join The Turbogen Club – powering No. 2007 to completion!
In August 2018, The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust placed a £350,000 order for a state-of-the-art electrical system for new Gresley class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales. The electrical system, designed by Rob Morland and Alan Parkin, is based on that which has operated successfully for the past 12 years on No. 60163 Tornado, and includes systems that generate and store electricity, together with lighting and instrumentation systems. Also included are all current railway safety and communication systems, plus new systems that will soon be needed on the Network Rail main line.
The electrical system for No. 2007 Prince of Wales will be based on the following key principles:
- Dual redundant power supplies; electronic battery management
- Steam turbine and axle-driven generators
- All LED lighting
- Structured trunking system for wiring; optimised equipment locations for minimum wiring
- Military specification components for reliability; all LED lighting.
Power will be generated by the Trust’s new design for an axle-driven alternator, based on an off-the-shelf truck product, and new turbo-generators, based on the German design fitted to Tornado. No. 2007 will be fitted with two turbo-generators, each with an output around 25A at 27V DC (675VA).
In order to keep on schedule to complete No. 2007 within the next three years, we needed to have the two turbo-generators delivered to Darlington Locomotive Works in 2020. We estimate that each turbo-generator will cost around £40,000 to complete and install. It is our desire to leave No. 2007 debt free and therefore our aim is to raise at least £40,000 with The Turbogen Club from 40 supporters each donating £1,000 plus Gift Aid (in up to four payments of £250).
Members receive the following special benefits:
- Opportunity to buy ticket (seat already reserved) on one of the first trains hauled by No. 2007 Prince of Wales
- Reasonable access to No. 2007 at all times
- First choice of components to sponsor as a Dedicated Donation
- Special supporters’ day with Tornado
- Exclusive certificate signed by the electricals design team of Rob Morland and Alan Parkin
- A limited edition brushed steel turbo-generator coaster
- Invitation to the first official run of the new turbo-generator.
If you would like to support No. 2007 Prince of Wales by joining The Turbogen Club then please either complete the on-line forms in section 1 or download the forms in section 2 below:
Section 1: on-line donation
I would like to donate £1,000 to become a member of The Turbogen Club for Gresley class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales:
- A single donation of £1,000.00
- 4 monthly donations of £250.00
Section 2: downloadable forms
If you would like to support No. 2007 by becoming a member of The Turbogen Club then the forms below will enable you to do so. There are two forms to download:
The first form confirms your personal data and your £1,000 donation – please DOWNLOAD, print out, complete and return it to us with a cheque for £1,000 made payable to “A1 SLT – P2 Construction Fund” at the address shown.
The second form confirms your bank details, please DOWNLOAD, print out, complete in full and return it along with the donation form, we will then forward it to your bank.
Section 3: recruit a friend
You can see full details of The Turbogen Club here – please share this with your friends!
This Club is raising funds for the acquisition of turbo-generators for the new Gresley class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales. If there are surplus funds left over following the acquisition of the turbo-generators, we will use the money to buy other components for the Gresley class P2 that the charity would not otherwise have.