The Gresley class P2 2-8-2 ‘Mikados’ were the most powerful express passenger locomotives to operate in the UK. They were designed by Sir Nigel Gresley to haul 600 ton trains on the arduous Edinburgh to Aberdeen route. Sadly, the design was never fully developed and they were rebuilt by his successor Edward Thompson into ungainly 4-6-2s in 1943/4, and scrapped by 1961.
As the builders of new main line steam locomotive No. 60163 Tornado, we have therefore decided to set ourselves a new challenge: to develop, build and operate an improved Gresley class P2 Mikado steam locomotive for main line and preserved railway use.
We will use the latest computer aided design and modelling techniques to realise the potential of the original design and estimate that No. 2007 Prince of Wales will cost around £5m to build over a 7-10 year period. As with Tornado, funds will be raised through regular monthly donations, donations dedicated to specific components, The Boiler Club, The Mikado Club, The Cylinder Club and commercial sponsorship.
We have the expertise, the track record and a plan…. But this can’t happen without you.
Prince of Wales on its wheels – Mandy Grant
ENGINEERING PROGRESS TO DATE:
- Engine’s frames erected; all major engine frame stays, brackets, horn blocks, axle boxes and buffers cast; around 1,000 driven bolts fitted to the frames
- All engine wheelsets complete; materials for tender wheelsets delivered
- Boiler design study commissioned, and forged foundation ring corners manufactured and machined; start made on boiler fittings with castings for combined injector steam and delivery valves; regulator castings delivered; superheater header cast and machined; boiler cladding manufactured and trial fitted to frames; boiler order (for an heir and a spare) placed with DB Meiningen for delivery in July 2021
- Study into ride and suspension completed using rail industry standard Vampire® software; finite Element Analysis completed on re designed crank axle to ensure locomotive complies with modern standards
- Cab erected and cab side and spectacle window frames fitted; engine footplating and splasher kits delivered and permanently fitted to frames
- Smokebox assembled and trial fitted to the frames; chimney cast and fitted
- Tender tank and frames construction under way, axlebox and other tender castings produced by William Cook Cast Products
- Nameplates and chime whistle delivered
- Significant progress on design and manufacture of pipework and electrical system
- Many non-ferrous fittings being cast and machined
Over £2m spent, £2.5m raised and £3.3m pledged of the required £5m.
As of end June:
- We have over 920 active covenantors bringing in almost £190,000pa including GAD (over £17pp pm including GAD)
- The Boiler Club has 179/300 members at £2,000pp excluding GAD
- The Motion Club has 139/175 members at £1,000pp excluding GAD
- The Tender Club (new) has 25/250 at £1,500pp excluding GAD
- Dedicated Donations have brought in around £350,000 inc GAD
- The Founders Club, The Mikado Club and The Cylinder Club have all closed having reached or exceeded their targets