The race is on to get up steam!
The boiler is the beating heart of a steam locomotive and to keep the construction of No. 2007 Prince of Wales on schedule for completion within the next three years we ordered the boiler in June 2019 for delivery in July 2021.
No. 2007’s boiler in detail:
- Use of diagram 118A Tornado boiler with detailed modifications to improve overhaul life
- Interchangeable with Tornado’s boiler
- Tornado’s boiler is 17in shorter than the original class P2’s boiler – No. 2007’s smoke box will be extended within the cladding
- 250psi of No. 60163’s boiler will be retained to improve economy and increase maximum power.
Following the success of The Founders Club, which was designed to get to the P2 Project to the point of cutting No. 2007’s frames, in October 2014 we established The Boiler Club to fund the construction of Prince of Wales’ boiler. We set an initial target for The Founders Club of at least £100,000 from 100 ‘Founders’ but due to the overwhelming generosity of our supporters we actually raised £460,000 from over 360 donors. It is our desire to leave No. 2007 Prince of Wales debt free upon completion and therefore our aim is to raise at least £600,000 for The Boiler Club from 300 supporters each donating £2,000 to the project (in up to 16 payments of £125 by standing order). By the end of July 2019, The Boiler Club fundraising campaign had recruited 60% of its target membership with pledges of over £450,000. For further information download the leaflet here.
In June 2019 the starting gun was fired with the order of two new boilers from DB Meiningen – and we now have just 24 months to raise all of the funds necessary to pay for No. 2007’s boiler – that’s more than one new member recruited to The Boiler Club every week for two years! By the end of July 2019, The Boiler Club fundraising campaign had recruited 60% of its target membership with pledges of over £450,000. Launched in October 2014 to raise the £600,000 needed pay for the manufacture of the boiler, The Boiler Club now has over 180 members who have each donated or pledged £2,000 (plus Gift Aid).
Special benefits for members of The Boiler Club:
- Opportunity to buy ticket (seat already reserved) on No. 2007’s first main line train
- Reasonable access to No. 2007 at all times
- Opportunity to buy exclusive Boiler Club badge
- Opportunity to join one of the teams building No. 2007
- First choice of other components to sponsor
- Special limited edition version (signed/numbered) of the first official painting of No. 2007 Prince of Wales with No. 60163 Tornado by renowned railway artist Chris Ludlow
- Special Boiler Club day with Tornado
Chris Ludlow with the painting of Prince of Wales and Tornado – Rob Morland
If you would like to support No. 2007 Prince of Wales joining The Boiler Club then the forms below will enable you to do so:
Joining The Boiler Club, paying by cheque or by making multiple donations by Standing Order. The first form confirms your personal data and the amount that you would like to donate – please DOWNLOAD, print out, complete and return it to us at the address shown. The second form confirms your bank details, please complete in full and return it along with the donation form, we will then forward it to your bank.
This club is raising funds for the manufacture of the boiler for the new Gresley class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales. If there are surplus funds left over following the manufacture of the boiler, we will use the money to purchase or manufacture other components for the Gresley class P2 that the charity would not otherwise have.