The Cylinder Club – Complete!
£100,000 appeal towards the cylinder block for No. 2007 Prince of Wales is concluded.
The Cylinder Club was founded in October 2017 to help fund the redesign and manufacture of the cylinder block with an initial target of raising £100,000 plus Gift Aid from 100 supporters each donating £1,000 to the project in up to eight payments of £125.
In March 2018 we were delighted to announce that thanks to the generosity of our supporters this initial target had been achieved. A huge thank you to everyone who supported this special fundraising appeal.
In return for supporting this appeal, special benefits for members of The Cylinder Club included:
- Opportunity to buy ticket (seat already reserved) on one of the first trains hauled by No. 2007 Prince of Wales
- Reasonable access to No. 2007 at all times
- Opportunity to buy exclusive Cylinder Club badge
- First choice of other components to sponsor
- Special supporters’ day with Tornado
- Special signed print of John Wigston’s painting of No. 2007 Prince of Wales alongside No. 2001 Cock o’ the North and No. 2002 Earl Marischal
The work involved in designing the new cylinder block included:
- Converting the original P2 class one-piece casting into a welded fabrication including Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to check for structural integrity
- Improving the layout of the valves to reduce the clearance volume (which affects cylinder efficiency)
- Re-routing the steam and exhaust passages to physically separate them to prevent incoming steam from heating the outgoing exhaust
- Increasing the size and improve internal streamlining of steam passages along Chapelon lines to increase maximum power and improve economy
- Reducing the overall width of the cylinder block to provide Prince of Wales with the widest possible route availability on the main line.
The Frewer Engineering rendering of the cylinder block.
Having completed the redesign, produced the manufacturing drawings and commissioned Howco Group Plc to fabricate the new cylinder block using steel castings supplied by William Cook Cast Products Ltd, in June 2021 we launched The Cylinder Manufacturing Club to raise the required £250,000.
Manufacture of the cylinder block includes:
- Producing the welded fabrication
- Stress relieving
- Grit blasting and painting with high temperature paint
- Fitting cylinder liners and valve seats
- Manufacturing and fitting cylinder and valve covers
- Hydraulic testing the assembly.
Help us to complete No. 2007’s cylinder block by joining The Cylinder Manufacturing Club today.
Steve Davies (A1SLT) and Iain Fratery (Howco) sign the letter of agreement – A1SLT