£100,000 appeal to make the cylinder block for No. 2007 Prince of Wales is concluded.
The Cylinder Club was founded in October 2017 to fund the redesign and manufacture of the cylinder block with a target of raising £100,000 plus Gift Aid from 100 supporters each donating £1,000.
If the project is to remain on schedule to complete No. 2007 within three years, we need to order the cylinder block in 2019. The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust therefore set itself the challenge of raising £100,000 through The Cylinder Club from 100 supporters each donating £1,000 (plus Gift Aid) to the project in up to eight payments of £125 by standing order.
In March 2018 we were delighted to announce that thanks to the generosity of our supporters this target had been achieved. However, for those wishing to donate to the project, The Boiler Club (to fund the construction of the boiler), The Motion Club (to fund the manufacture of the heavy motion) and The Tender Club (to fund the construction of the tender) are all still seeking members.
Following the success of The Founders Club (to get the project to the point of cutting the frames), The Boiler Club (to fund the construction of the boiler) and The Mikado Club (to wheel the locomotive), we established The Cylinder Club to raise an estimated £100,000 required to make No. 2007’s cylinder block.
In return for supporting this appeal, special benefits for members of The Cylinder Club included:
- Opportunity to buy ticket (seat already reserved) on one of the first trains hauled by No. 2007 Prince of Wales
- Reasonable access to No. 2007 at all times
- Opportunity to buy exclusive Cylinder Club badge
- Opportunity to join one of the teams building No. 2007
- First choice of other components to sponsor
- Special Cylinder Club day with Tornado
- Special signed print of John Wigston’s painting of No. 2007 Prince of Wales alongside No. 2001 Cock o’ the North and No. 2002 Earl Marischal
David Elliott’s design for an improved, fabricated P2 cylinder block – David Elliott/A1SLT
The work involved in designing and manufacturing the new cylinder block includes:
- Convert the original P2 class one-piece casting into a welded fabrication including Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to check for structural integrity
- Improve the layout of the valves to reduce the clearance volume (which affects cylinder efficiency)
- Re-route the steam and exhaust passages to physically separate them to prevent incoming steam from heating the outgoing exhaust
- Increase the size and improve internal streamlining of steam passages along Chapelon lines to increase maximum power and improve economy
- Reduce the overall width of the cylinder block to provide Prince of Wales with the widest possible route availability on the main line.
Manufacture the cylinder block including:
- Producing the welded fabrication
- Stress relieving
- Grit blasting and painting with high temperature paint
- Fitting cylinder liners and valve seats
- Manufacturing and fitting cylinder and valve covers
- Hydraulic testing the assembly.
A huge thank you to everyone who supported this special fundraising appeal.
This club is raising funds for the manufacture of the cylinders for the new Gresley class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales. If there are surplus funds left over following the manufacture of the cylinders, we will use the money to purchase or manufacture other components for the Gresley class P2 that the charity would not otherwise have.