THE P2 SUPPORT COACH APPEAL
A unique opportunity has arisen for The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust to acquire BR Mark 1 BSK E35457 for eventual use as the support coach for No. 2007 Prince of Wales.
A support coach and crew are an essential part of the operation of steam locomotives on Network Rail. Since British Railways steam operations ended in 1968, much if not all of the static infrastructure and paid staff required to support them no longer exists, requiring the use of support coaches and crews to travel with the locomotive.
Support coaches are usually drawn from passenger brake coaches of the BR Mark 1 era, taking advantage of the existence of the guards/ parcels van space for ease of conversion to workshop and store functions. The passenger area will provide mess room, seating and/or sleeping accommodation.
Brake Corridor Second (BSK) E35457 was built at Wolverton in 1963, is fitted with Commonwealth bogies and was most recently used as the support coach for BR standard class 4 No. 76084.
In surprisingly excellent condition, E35457 will require minimal work other than the reinstatement of its dual-brakes and the addition of a similar electrical system to that fitted to E21249, No. 60163 Tornado’s support coach.
The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust is seeking to raise £100,000 from 100 supporters to each donate £1,000 (in up to eight monthly payments of £125 by standing order) towards the acquisition, overhaul and conversion of BR Mark 1 BSK E35457.
In recognition of their support, donors will receive:
- Exclusive certificate signed by David Champion (President) and Steve Davies (Chairman) of The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust
- The opportunity to buy a ticket (seat already reserved) on one of the first trains hauled by No. 2007 Prince of Wales
- Reasonable access to No. 2007 and No. 60163 at all times
- Special supporters’ day with Tornado
- Two tickets (booked in advance) to travel behind Tornado or Prince of Wales in E35457 on a heritage railway and commemorative photograph with the locomotive and coach.
The P2 Support Coach Appeal is raising funds for the acquisition and overhaul of BR Mark 1 E35457. If there are surplus funds left over following its acquisition and overhaul, we will use the money to purchase or manufacture other components for the Gresley class P2 that the charity would not otherwise have.