AN AUDIENCE WITH THE PRINCE OF WALES – P2 roadshow at London Transport Museum, 29th February 2020
Update on the project to build Gresley class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales – Britain’s most powerful steam locomotive
The project to build Britain’s most powerful steam locomotive will be holding a series of roadshows across Great Britain in 2020. The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, also the builders, owners and operators of 100mph famous new steam locomotive No. 60163 Tornado, has announced that it will be holding several presentations on the project to build new Gresley class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales in 2020. Entry into each roadshow is free with the second Roadshow at London Transport Museum, Covent Garden, London on Saturday 29th February 2020.
The class P2 2-8-2 ‘Mikado’ locomotives were the most powerful passenger steam locomotives to operate in the UK, designed by Sir Nigel Gresley to haul 600 ton trains on the arduous Edinburgh to Aberdeen route. Sadly, the design was never fully developed, and they were rebuilt in 1943/44 and scrapped by 1961. The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust (registered charity and builders of famous new steam locomotive No. 60163 Tornado) is building the seventh member of this class over seven years at an estimated cost of £5m. The project will demonstrate how the design can be fully realised through use of modern computer design techniques, enabling the new locomotive to deliver its full potential hauling passenger trains at high speed across today’s national network.
The second roadshow for 2020 is at London Transport Museum, Covent Garden, London. Each presentation will feature key Trust personnel including Mark Allatt (P2 Project Director) and/or David Elliott (Director of Engineering) and will cover the background to the project, progress to-date, future plans and details of how to get involved. The presentation will start promptly at 11:00hrs until 13:00hrs* on each of the days listed below and are open to existing supporters and members of the public:
- 29th February – London Transport Museum, Covent Garden, London
- 21st March – Great Northern Hotel, Peterborough
- 18th April – Darlington Locomotive Works
- 23rd May – Nene Valley Railway, Wansford*
- 6th June – Hallmark Hotel, Carlisle *
- 4th July – Darlington Locomotive Works
- 23rd July – Jurys Inn Aberdeen, Aberdeen *
- 22nd August – Darlington Locomotive Works
- 3rd October – Darlington Locomotive Works
- 10th October – Great Northern Hotel, Peterborough
- 21st November – Darlington Locomotive Works
* Please contact the office (01325 460163) for timings as these are being planned around trains hauled by 60163 Tornado.